Reaffirming Ethnic Awareness and Community Harmony (R.E.A.C.H.)
R.E.A.C.H., which stands for Reaffirming Ethnic Awareness and Community Harmony, is a multifaceted, educational outreach program that aims to educate and train facilitators for peer intergroup dialogue. Approximately 25 students attend a year long credited class to learn about various diversity and social justice related topics, as well as how to facilitate difficult dialogues effectively. Requests for workshops can be submitted for R.E.A.C.H. facilitations on these topics. To become a R.E.A.C.H. facilitator, a professional staff or faculty member must submit a nomination, and individuals must submit an application during the spring quarter. Workshop requests can me made below.
On this page you will find:
- To facilitate interaction and dialogue on diversity and multicultural and social justice related topics. To support the Cross-Cultural Center's mission in promoting the education, celebration, and development of a diverse and inclusive campus.
- To foster an appreciation and understanding of ethnic, religious, and cultural diversity.
- To educate the campus community on the needs and issues of a diverse student body.
- Each Spring Quarter, we look for new R.E.A.C.H. participants.You can become a R.E.A.C.H. faciliator by filling out the REACH Application.
(Application is due Spring, date and time TBA).
You can Request a Workshop from R.E.A.C.H for any event that you hope to create a peer dialogue around some of the Workshop Topics you will find below. Trained in and available for facilitating group discussion topics such as:
- Cultural Awareness
- Ethnic Diversity
- Power and Privilege
- Cycle of Oppression
- Cross-Cultural Communication
- Gender and LGBT related issues
- Socio-economic status/Class
- Identity Development
R.E.A.C.H. Facilitators use a variety of interactive methods such as panels, skits, videos, and exercises to discuss topics related to diversity and multicultural issues.
Since 1988, the R.E.A.C.H. program has participated in various campus activities and community programs. R.E.A.C.H. Facilitators have participated in the following:
- UCI Rainbow Festival and Conference
- Summer Multicultural Leadership Institute (SMLI)
- Student Parent Orientation Program (SPOP)
- R.A. / H.A. Training
- All University Leadership Conference
- Celebrate UCI / Wayzgoose
- Operation Safe Schools
- "Walk in My Shoes"- A Symposium on Intercultural Cooperation
- Workshops within UCI Housing
- CCC mentorship program
- Take Back the Night
- The Deconstruction Zone
- The R.E.A.C.H. Skits Manual
- The Community Resource Manual
- UCI: The Ideal Cultural Climate (VIDEO)
- R.E.A.C.H.ing Out (VIDEO)
- Who do you see? Project
- Walk in Museum of Oppression